I have to admit--this is probably the most snow I've ever seen in my life...and the "stormiest" snow episode I've ever lived through! Being from Central Virginia originally, I didn't grow up used to seeing "snowmaggedons" every winter...the most snow I ever remember getting as a child was 10 inches! But this?! This is actually frightening. Yes, you read that correctly. I am actually scared as I sit here and type this while I simultaneously watch the snow blowing wildly outside. *sigh*
Anywho, this is a really quick and yummy stew that's PERFECT for a snowy day like today--warming from the inside out and chock full of nutrient-rich veggies, this stew is certain to make it on your "fave recipes" list. Enjoy! And stay warm :)
Snowstorm Stew! Vegan, Gluten-free. Serves one.
1. 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
2. 1 cup no-salt-added vegetable broth
3. one small zucchini, chopped
4. one small carrot, peeled and chopped (or 6 baby carrots)
5. 1 cup frozen florets
6. 1/2 cup canned, no-salt-added diced tomatoes
7. 1/3 cup frozen corn
8. 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
9. herbs and spices of choice
10. salt, to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium-sized soup pot and stir well.
2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil for 5 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring regularly, for 10-15 minutes for flavors to mingle.
4. Scoop into a LARGE bowl (this makes A LOT!) and serve. (I topped mine with ground golden flaxseed for texture--delish!)