Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Mexican Tortilla Lasagna.

Funny story. Before I went vegan, I absolutely hated Mexican food. I mean...BIG time hate. If you've read my "About Me" page, you'll recall that part of the reason I went vegan was because of my terrible stomach problems. Mexican food just didn't, um, "sit" well. But since going completely plant-based (and my stomach issues disappearing) I've become more adventurous when it comes to ethnic food. I've learned that when you remove all the fat, oil, sugar and other processed junk, Mexican food  can be really enjoyable! Crisp veggies, aromatic cilantro, and spicy salsa. I may have found a new love.


Mexican Tortilla Lasagna.

Mexican Tortilla Lasagna; Vegan. Serves One. 

Ingredients
  1. 1 Extra-Large (or Two Medium) Whole Grain Tortilla or Wrap
  2. 1/3 Cup prepared Textured Vegetable Protein 
  3. 2 T ground flaxseeds
  4. 3/4 Cup salsa, divided
  5. 1/4 Cup frozen corn, heated
  6. 1 Cup fresh spinach leaves
  7. Avocado slices, for topping
  8. Cilantro for garnish


Method

  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. 
  2. Spread 1/4 cup salsa on the bottom of a small lasagna dish. Set aside. 
  3. Cut tortilla into wide strips and set aside. 
  4. In medium-sized microwavable bowl, combine TVP granules with a scant 1/3 cup water. Microwave on HIGH power for 1 minute. Remove from microwave and stir in 2 T ground flaxseed, corn, and 1/2 cup of salsa, reserving a bit for topping. 
  5. Take a few tortilla strips (enough for one layer) and lay on bottom of dish, on top of salsa spread. Top with spinach leaves. Top spinach with TVP mixture and spread evenly. Add another tortilla layer and top with a bit of salsa. 
  6. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Top with avocado slices and cilantro. 

Notes:
  • I used a very large lavash-type wrap and had quite a bit of tortilla left over. You could double the tortilla strips per layer, or just use one tortilla.
  • If you prefer a "saucier" lasagna, use more salsa.
  • I served this alongside a side salad with Mexican-style veggies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment