Sunday, February 23, 2014

Sick Food: Detox Chicken-less Noodle Soup.

I don't know about you, but when I'm ill there are few foods that sound good. When I was little, my mom would always fix me my favorite "sick foods": oatmeal (of course!), cinnamon toast, hot lemon water, and chicken noodle soup. There's just something healing about a bowl of chicken noodle soup...the spices, the smell, the hot broth on a sore throat. It's the perfect comfort food.
Well, I woke up with a sore throat this morning and have been loading up on Vitamin C and antioxidant rich foods. But I wanted to try to recreate my favorite sick food, minus the chicken, of course. I was pleasantly surprised how much this tasted like my childhood favorite! The combination of ingredients really worked well.
The next time you find yourself under the weather (which I hope is NOT SOON!), give this soup a try; I think you'll enjoy it.

Detox Chicken-less Noodle Soup.


Detox Chicken-less Noodle Soup; Vegan, Gluten Free. Serves One.


Ingredients
  1. 1/3 Cup Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth (I use Pacific Naturals Brand)
  2. 1+ Cup water
  3. 1 T Bragg's liquid aminos
  4. 1/4 Cup sliced carrots
  5. 1/4 Cup diced onion
  6. 1/4 Cup sliced celery
  7. 3 oz. firm or extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
  8. 1 Cup cooked spaghetti squash strands
  9. 1/2 tsp thyme
  10. 1/4 tsp garlic powder
  11. black pepper, to taste
  12. parsley flakes, for garnish

Method
  1. In a small soup pot, sauté onion, carrots, and celery in 1/3 Cup veggie broth over medium heat. Cook until carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. 
  2. Add spices, excluding parsley, and stir well to combine.
  3. Add 1 Cup water (more if desired), 1 T liquid aminos, and tofu cubes. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5-7 minutes. 
  4. Add spaghetti squash, stir gently to loosen strands, and simmer for 5 minutes. 
  5. Pour into large bowl and garnish with parsley flakes, if desired. Serve hot.



No comments:

Post a Comment