Sunday, December 21, 2014

Holiday post!: Candy Cane "Flaxmeal".

I don't know if I've shared how much I adore flaxseeds. These little seeds are nutritional POWERHOUSES! Chock full of  filling fiber and healthy fats, just one tablespoon of ground flaxseeds contains approximately 1.8 grams of plant based omega 3 fatty acids--80% more than other plant foods. In addition to its heart healthy omega three content, flax has also been shown to lower cholesterol when consistently consumed. 
Vegana have another reason to love flaxseeds--over and above the nutritional benefits. If you like to bake, flaxseeds are probably your go-to egg replacer (some like chia eggs too...I think the consistency of flax eggs work better!). Not only do flax eggs SUCCESFULLY find together a baked good, but they also add a nice nutty texture. Mmm, so good. 
I personally am quite flax-obsessed. I treat it like a supplement--It's kind of a "rule" that I eat 1/4 cup of this ground superfood everyday! I love them, and they are so nutrient dense! 
My ultimate favorite way to use ground flax in everyday food is a salad topper. Two tablespoons of ground flax can quickly turn a pile of veggies and tofu into a luscious, nutty meal that will keep you going for hours. I also like topping my puddings and Nogurt (recipes in previous posts!) with flax. It adds such a nice texture an flavor. Simply delish! 
However, sometimes my creative juices start flowing (shock) and I get antsy to experiment with different and new ways to incorporate my daily dose of flax into my meals. This recipe is a product of one of these "creative concoction recipes"...and boy am I glad I discovered this. I call it "Flaxmeal"--use it like you would use oatmeal for a nice change is pace. Or, on those extra-cold mornings when you need TWO bowls of hot and steamy goodness, as I did this morning, use it in addition to your morning oat bowl for a hearty meal that will stick to your ribs for hours. 


             Candy Cane "Flaxmeal".

       My current obsession. So good!

                 DEEEEELICIOUS!


Candy Cane "Flaxmeal"; Vegan, Gluten-free. Serves one. 

Ingredients
1. 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
2. 1/2 cup boiling water
3. One celestial seasonings "Candy Cane Lane" herbal tea bag
4. 10 drops vanilla flavored liquid stevia


Method
1. Place flax in a smallish size bowl. 
2. In a separate bowl, place yor tea bag and cover with 1/2 cup boiling water. Steep 5 minutes, squeeze out tea bag (to ensure you get all that candy cane-y goodness!), and pour now-steeped tea over flax. Add stevia and stir well with a spoon. 
3. Let Flaxmeal sit for about 7-10 minutes to thicken up. 
4. Once it has reached a lusciously thuan and gooey consistency, pop it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds to warm it tip again before enjoying. So so so insanely good!

Recipe note: the original recipe for this Flaxmeal omits the steeping of the tea...to do it this way, just pour the boiling water directly over the flax, add stevia, and stir. Yummy either way! (And also with ther flavors of tea!)

No comments:

Post a Comment