BBQ Beans and Tangerines. Vegan, Gluten-free. Serves one.
1. 3 oz. sliced white onion
2. 3/4 cup great northern beans (chickpeas would be Delish too!)
3. 1/4 cup BBQ sauce (like my spicy BBQ on the blog!)
4. One large tangerine, sectioned
5. Lettuce for serving
1. First, halve your tangerine and section it. Place about 4 slices in a plastic baggy and stick in the freezer overnight (or for at least 8 hours).
2. Place onions in a small saucepan with a little water. Caramelize until soft. Add beans and stir (water should be prett much gone). Toss in your fresh tangerine chunks and add BBQ sauce. Stir well and cook, stirring regularly, over medium heat until gooey and luscious smelling.
3. Spoon beans mixture over your lettuce (use spinach for extra iron!). Take your frozen tang slices out of the freezer and, using a hand grater, grate over dish to make "frozen citrus zest"...aka the secret ingredient of why this recipe is seriously insane. Serve immediately.