Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Protein Pasta Salad!

What's up with the weather this year? It's crazy! Last week we had 2 feet of snow on the ground...and today it was 59 degrees. But this girl ain't complaining--I HATE winter! Anyway, this warm burst has got me craving Spring...and springtime FOODS! And one of my all-time FAVORITE spring and summer dishes? PASTA SALAD. MMMMMMMMHHHMMMMM. And my Protein Pasta Salad is even better than regular pasta salad (shocking, I know)...because it has an impressive 25 GRAMS OF PLANT PROTEIN PER SERVING/RECIPE! My secret? BEAN PASTA NOODLES. I used a lentil macaroni noodle from the brand "Pasta Legume" which I am OBSESSED with, but I love all the bean pasta brands out there! Explore Asian is another great brand...love their mung bean fettuccine! I know. I just turned pasta salad fit. You love me, I know. Enjoy :)


Protein Pasta Salad!


Protein Pasta Salad! Vegan, Gluten-free. Serves One.


Ingredients
1. 3/4 cup bean-based small pasta noodles (I used lentil macaroni noodles from "Pasta Legume")
2. 1/4 cup chopped red onion
3. 1 cup raw cauliflower florets
4. 1/2 cup sliced grape tomatoes
5. 1/2 cup canned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
6. one stick celery, sliced
7. 1/8 tsp each onion and garlic powder
8. 2 T white vinegar
9. black pepper and dried parsley, to taste
10. salt, to taste

Method
1. Bring a small soup pot of water to a boil on the stove. Add pasta noodles and cook until al dente--NOTE--bean-based pastas cook MUCH faster than grain-based. When the pot begins to overflow, the goods are done!
2. Drain noodles and rinse briefly under cold water.
3. Combine noodles with remaining ingredients and toss well.
4. Spoon pasta salad into a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate 30 minutes for flavors to mingle (or until ready to eat). Serve chilled and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment