Saturday, February 27, 2016

Super Simple Salsa Chili.

I absolutely LOVE the book The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell. I discovered it not long after I went vegan, and fell in love with both his method, AND the cookbook that went along with the plan. Being a new vegan, I was an avid recipe follower, and perused cookbooks daily searching for a recipe that intrigued me (this was obviously before I started experimenting with MY OWN creations...and TFVG was born!). The China Study Cookbook was my very favorite of ALL the vegan cookbooks I ever had...and one recipe in particular really sticks in my mind...er, my tastebuds. It was a hearty vegetable stew recipe that has a secret ingredient to add a flavor punch: JARRED SALSA! Yes, you did, in fact, read that correctly. Good 'ol tex-mex style salsa. No, I'm not kidding. (Don't knock it till you try it, people.)
Although I don't remember the exact recipe for this bomb-diggity delicious stew, I've frequently thrown some salsa into my pot when I feel like it's lacking some flavor...and I have yet to be disappointed! So here's one of my favorite chili recipes that uses salsa as the main flavor booster--it's super simple and only takes about 10 minutes, start to finish...and depending on the heat of the salsa you use, this comforting bowl of goodness can pack QUITE the punch! Enjoy, my dears. :)

Super Simple Salsa Chili.
Super Simple Salsa Chili. Vegan, Gluten-free. Serves one. 

Ingredients
1. 1-2 cups vegetable broth (more or less, depending on how thick you want your chili)
2. 1/2 cup TVP granules, cooked in 1/2 cup water
3. onion and garlic powders, to taste
4. 1 cup frozen broccoli florets
5. 1/2 cup jarred salsa, heat of choice 

Method 
1. Combine TVP and water in a medium-sized microwaveable bowl and nuke for 1 1/2 minutes. Remove from microwave and set aside. 
2. Combine veggie broth, TVP, and broccoli in a small/medium-sized soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir in salsa. Simmer 10-15 minutes for flavors to mingle. 
3. Remove stew from heat and stir well. Pour into large bowl and serve hot, with crusty bread for dipping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment