Sunday, March 9, 2014

Chickpea-Beet Crusted Pizza with Green Pea Cream Sauce

I love creating different pizza crusts. It's so fun to experiment with all the veggies you can turn into a pizza base! This crust, for example, was totally random. Usually I will start thinking of a recipe, take a couple days to mull over in my head what spices would work best, and finally, after about a week or so, try and create it. I'm not a very "fly by the seat of your pants" type girl. I like to have a plan.
THIS recipe, however, was VERY "fly by the seat of your pants". It was Saturday night. I had gotten home later than planned (this usually is the case on Saturdays!) and needed to make something quick. I was planning on my "go-to" (raw veggies, tofu, oatmeal, and chia pudding), but when I opened the fridge door, I saw the beets I had bought earlier that week staring at me just BEGGING to be used. I looked at the clock, looked back at the beets, and grabbed them. I needed to use them anyway, so why not be a little adventurous. Turns out adventurous is good...really good.
Crust, pre-garnish

Chickpea-Beet Crusted Pizza, dressed with Green Pea Cream Sauce and sliced mushrooms


Chickpea-Beet Crusted Pizza with Green Pea Cream Sauce; Vegan, Gluten Free. Makes one Pizza


Ingredients-Crust
  1. 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  2. 1/2 cup steamed, sliced beets
  3. 3 T almond meal/flour
  4. onion and garlic powder, to taste
Cream Sauce
  1. 1/3 cup frozen green peas, thawed
  2. 2 T coconut cream
  3. splash of water for ease of blending

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 
  2. In a food processor, place beets and process until finely chopped. Add chickpeas and process until well combined...almost pureed, but still slightly chunky. Scrape sides as needed as you process.
  3. Transfer to a bowl and add almond flour and spices. Stir to incorporate.
  4. Roll into ball and flatten out onto parchment. Your crust should be about 3/4 inch thick. 
  5. Bake uncovered 25 minutes.
  6. While crust is cooking, prepare your sauce. 
  7. Place peas and coconut cream in food processor and process until smooth, adding splashes of water as needed. 
  8. Remove crust from oven and let cool 5 minutes. Prepare any desired toppings.
  9. Spread cream sauce over crust and top with desired toppings. Slice and enjoy! 



Crust, pre-garnish

No comments:

Post a Comment