Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Sunwarrior Protein Powder Review and Protein Power Balls.

As you can imagine, I'm a pretty frequent flyer at my local health food store. It's pretty small and doesn't carry much, but it holds me over until I can make a trip to the nearest Whole Foods on my way back from my skating lessons. 
With that said, all the employees in my little health food shop know me by name. I walk in and they pipe up "Hey Anna! How's it going today?" I'm a regular. I was thrilled to discover that they started carrying Sunwarrior protein powders a couple weeks ago. I had been DYING to try the brand (I've heard great things!), and couldn't wait to get my hands on some! The employees graciously gave me about 5 sample packs so I wouldn't have to purchase the big container, just in case I didn't like it. But, as luck would have it--this stuff is great! It's really worth all the hype! And with a whopping 20 GRAMS of plant based protein per 100 calorie serving, this is the most protein-dense (per calorie) powder I've found. I've only tried the natural flavor, butI'm  excited to try the vanilla as well (I'm not a chocolate gal). 
As a recipe developer, it's literally IMPOSSIBLE for me to eat anything without creating a recipe out of it. And it's even worse when I fet handed NEW PRODUCTS! It's play time! 
These Protein Power Balls are super yum and so quick to make. The ingredients are very flexible--I used what I had on hand, and you can absolutely do the same. Get creative! You really can't screw these guys up. 

                 Protein Power Balls. 


                       Mid-munchies!


Protein Power Balls; Vegan, Gluten-free. Serves one (makes about 5 balls). 


Ingredients 
1. 1/2 cup fruit or veggie purée of choice (I used butternut squash. You can also use mashed banana, prune purée, pumpkin, carrot, applesauce, you name it. The possibilities are endless!)
2. One packet Sunwarrior natural flavor protein powder (or 1/4 cup of other protein powder)
3. One packet stevia
4. Cinnamon to taste


Method 
1. In medium size bowl, place 1/4 cup of the purée. Add the protein powder and mix. Add the rest of the purée along with stevia and cinnamon and mix well. 
2. When throuougly mixed (should e consistency of "dough"), roll into balls, place in parchment lined plate and cover with foil. Freeze about 30 minutes. Let thaw about 5-10 minutes before eating. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment