Sunday, April 6, 2014

Cauliflower Quiche

I love making quiche. I feel so "skilled" when I make it. This one is especially fun...mostly because I used purple cauliflower (which makes EVERYTHING better!).
I am always on the lookout for single-serving silicone bakeware, which, by the way, is NOT easy to come by. However. While in Walmart the other day, I was passing through the craft section (go figure...) when I stumbled upon ROWS AND ROWS of single serving silicone bakeware....and it was HALF PRICE. You could say I was a teensy bit excited (I had been searching for this exact thing for about 9 months). Naturally, I stocked up. One little thing--they are in funky shapes. Once I examined the boxes more closely, I realized they were for "mini chefs"...I'm assuming this is the reason they were in the craft section. But who cares! It does the job, and I'm not picky when it comes to shape. In fact, I think it makes things that more special! So, short story made long, my Cauliflower Quiche is heart shaped.


Cauliflower Quiche. Heart shape optional.




Cauliflower Quiche; Vegan, Gluten-Free. Makes one personal quiche.


Ingredients
  1. 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
  2. 1/4 cup almond  meal
  3. 5 oz. cauliflower chunks, processed into rice
  4. 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  5. 1 cup fresh spinach leaves, finely chopped
  6. garlic and onion powders
  7. dash of cumin
  8. water as needed


Method
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set a small silicone bake dish on baking sheet and set aside.
  2. In a medium size bowl, combine flax and almond meal. Add enough water to moisten and stir. Keep adding water a little bit at a time until a "dough" forms. 
  3. Spread dough into dish, pressing it fairly high up on the sides to resemble a crust.
  4. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. 
  5. Process chickpeas in mini food processor with splashes of water until mostly pureed. Add to bowl along with cauliflower rice, spinach, spices, and stir well. Add enough watt to make it hold together. It should be workable and slightly mushy. 
  6. Let crust cool 5 minutes (it might puff up in the center--that's perfectly fine. Just gently press it back down.) and then spread filling over crust--you will have about 1/2 of filling left over. 
  7. Bake for 20 minutes more. Let cool at least 10 minutes before removing. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment