Monday, April 7, 2014

Smooth 'n Spicy Red Bean Soup

Just because it's spring doesn't mean I can't still have my beloved soup. Soup is such an easy meal. Just liquid, veggies, protein, grains (if you desire), spices, and BOOM. Dinner is served. This soup is a tad bit more tedious than my other soup recipes I've shared, but it's worth it TRUST me. Man, oh man. This stuff rocks. I served mine with "Cheezy" Enchiladas (I just used two oat flour tortillas,  filled them with my "Basic Cheese Sauce", and topped them with a quick Enchilada sauce of tomato paste, water, cumin, oregano, and cayenne. Perfect!), which made for a very delicious and filling meal.


Oh-so-Smooth 'n Spicy Red Bean Soup. Mmmmmm.




Smooth 'n Spicy Red Bean Soup; Vegan, Gluten-Free. Serves One.



Ingredients
  1. 1/2 cup small red beans (dried)
  2. 1 cup salt-free or low sodium vegetable broth
  3. 1/3-1/2 cup water
  4. 1/4 cup chopped onion
  5. 2 tsp minced garlic
  6. 1 T Bragg's liquid aminos
  7. to taste: cumin, oregano, chipotle powders
  8. hot sauce and black pepper, for garnish


Method
  1. Combine beans in a small soup pot with 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, boil for 10 minutes. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until tender. 
  2. Saute onion and garlic in a nonstick pan in 1 T aminos. Cook 2 minutes, add spices, and cook until liquid is gone. 
  3. Drain beans and place in a Vitamix with broth, onion sauté, and extra water. Blend on HIGH until smooth. 
  4. Pour into bowl and top with hot sauce and black pepper.
Note: I like my soup on the thick side, so I added between 1/3 and 1/2 cup (I didn't measure). If you prefer a thinner soup, you can add as much excess water as you like. Just add as you go so you don't put too much in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment